Spain Formalities

Search form


Whenever you decide to overwinter abroad there will always be a number of things you need to take into account. How long are you permitted to stay abroad for the winter? And what is the situation regarding your travel insurance? We will try to answer these questions for you.

If you do not yet have travel insurance, you can take this out before you decide to winter abroad. Please ensure that you have checked what the maximum travel period is that will be insured, and that this covers your winter visit. Some insurance companies provide a special travel insurance policy that you can take out when you leave the country for a longer period of time. Also, do not forget to compare the coverage provided by your travel insurance with that provided by your health insurance. It is also important to check repatriation costs and/or costs involved in the event of illness or death; not the most pleasant of subjects, but it is important if you are going to winter in Spain for a lengthy period.
You will also need to check the conditions of your contents insurance and home insurance with regards to leaving your house unattended for a long time. Your insurance company can inform you of the maximum allowed length of your winter vacation to Spain. For the insurance of electronic equipment (laptop, telephone, camera, etc.) other conditions often apply. It is sometimes of benefit to take out a separate insurance for these items. Again, compare the conditions of your contents insurance with those of your travel insurance.

If you have a pet that you wish to take along with you on your winter holiday , and the landlord has agreed, do not forget the EU Passport for pets, which has been compulsory since 2004.